A permit is required from KCRC for any and all work performed in the County road right-of-way. This includes residential and commercial driveways, sidewalks and non-motorized pathways, landscaping, utilities and oversized overweight trucking. In addition, KCRC is the designated Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control (SESC) Enforcing Agency for Kent County and the cities of East Grand Rapids, Grandville and Wyoming. An SESC permit is required for any activity within 500 feet of a lake or stream.

Completed applications may be emailed to; faxed to 616-336-4397; or delivered the Permit Department, 1500 Scribner Avenue, Grand Rapids, MI 49301. When applicable, a credit card payment may be taken by phone at 616-242-6920, or a check payment may be mailed to Kent County Road Commission, Permit Department, 1500 Scribner Avenue, Grand Rapids, MI 49301.

General Information

Please review general information regarding permit regulations, specifications, fees and conditions.

General Right-of-Way Work

For those wishing to conduct work within KCRC Right-of-Way, aside from driveway work (i.e. tree removal)

Residential Driveway

Required for those seeking a residential entrance on a County road.

Commercial Driveway/Private Street Approach

Required for those seeking a commercial entrance/private street approach on a County road.

Private Street - Sign Request

To request the production of a street sign for a private street, please call the Permit Department at 616-242-6920.


Required for those wishing to volunteer to keep a specific stretch of road litter-free.

Street Abandonment

Please direct inquiries regarding street abandonment to the Right-of-Way Department: 616-242-6966