Traffic & Safety

KCRC’s Traffic and Safety Division proactively manages traffic operations throughout the network to minimize vehicle crashes and maximize mobility. Traffic operations are managed in accordance with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). The manual defines the standards used by traffic engineers nationwide to “install and maintain traffic control devices on all public streets, highways, bikeways, and private roads open to public travel.”

The Traffic and Safety Division continually monitors vehicle crashes and trends at both the intersection and network levels to assess operations and ensure proper traffic control measures are in place. Ongoing efforts include:

  • Conducting traffic studies to determine appropriate traffic controls
  • Investigating vehicular accidents
  • Monitoring and analyzing crash data
  • Installing/maintaining traffic signs, signals and pavement markings
  • Investigating property damage claims and right-of-way encroachments

Between 2013 and 2014, vehicle crashes within the KCRC network decreased by 196 and vehicle accidents with injuries decreased by 181. Over a nine-year period, since 2005, the annual number of vehicle accidents has decreased by 1,398 and those with injuries have decreased by 422.


My neighbors and I would like a traffic signal at an intersection. How can we petition for one?

The Michigan Manual of Uniform Traffic Control establishes a set of criterial, or warrants, to determine whether a traffic signal is required. Requests for traffic signals are reviewed, with the decision based on the state guidelines.  

People are speeding on our road. How do I get the speed limit lowered?

When a request is received to lower the speed limit on a county road, it is reviewed collaboratively by the township, KCRC and the Michigan State Police.  The potential next step includes conducting speed studies, accident analyses, and driving environment surveys. A recommendation is made based on analysis of the data collected and established traffic engineering criteria. If it is determined that a change should be made to the speed limit, a Traffic Control Order is submitted by the Director of the Michigan State Police for KCRC approval.  

The primary basis for establishing a proper, realistic…

How do I get a street sign made for our private street?

To request the production of a street sign for a private street, please call the Permit Department at 616-242-6920.